Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Job and Autism


Today is my second encounter with people from Autism Resource Center in Los Banos. The son is with me and was assessed by an Occupational Therapist. While waiting for his turn we just stayed at the ARC Diner and had a firsthand glimpse of how the life of the young adult with autism goes through the day. At around 10 a.m. I saw the teens took break from work and munched their snacks.

These teens are very handsome especially when they wear their work uniform. Since some could travel alone they are assigned to deliver food to nearby places. They also help in the Diner by washing dishes and serving food. They look fulfilled in being productive and having a job of their own.

One of them approached me while eating his snack and introduced himself. He then asked my name, my age, my birthday, my son’s birthday, my son’s age and my mother’s birthday. Afterwards, he blurted “Is he autistic?” while pointing to my son. “Oh!”, I said “Yes, he is.” It was funny; I was surprised that he was aware and could recognize if somebody has autism.

I saw them joking with each other. They said funny things, they laughed and seem to be happy. That handsome young man also told me that one of them will give a blow out. Then someone said, “I’ll touch his neck, maybe he has fever because he plans to treat us.” Then there was laughter all around. It was so touching and inspiring to see these teens. They have a very beautiful world of their own. While watching them, I am dreaming that sooner my son would be at least like them

It was a tiring yet fulfilling day. Today I had the chance to foresee what could be in store for my son as he continues to train and study in a special school. Academic education is not enough, autism is a lifelong disability and everyday is a learning opportunity for the parent and the child affected by it.

No comments: